The Kirchweg vineyard gets its name from its location along the former path to the next closest church (in St. Michael). The vineyard name counts among the oldest in the Wachau region, already mentioned in writing in 1256. The northern part of the slope is dominated by Hochrain (Ralais) weathered rock, which was deposited here over the course of time as a debris cone from a small stream.
The Kirchweg vineyards are mostly characterised by relocated loess. Grüner Veltliner is at home here. At the northern end near Wösendorf, the winemakers realised early on that Riesling also produces very good results. A small tributary river is responsible for this, which carries sandy and coarse blocks of paragneiss sediment during heavy rainfall events and deposits them in a flat alluvial fan.
The profile comes from the northern end of the Kirchweg vineyard. In contrast to the smoothly flowing waters of the Danube, the sediments from torrents are coarse-grained and unsorted. The rubble, only rounded at the edges, attests to a short transport path. Compared to the terrace locations with paragneiss, the soils in the northern Kirchweg are sandier and stonier, but are also very deep.