German in Name but 100% Wachau! The historical roots of Tegernseerhof go back over 1000 years. Holy Roman Emperor Henry II granted the Benedictine monastery of Tegernsee two oxgangs of land in Wachau. In 1176, Tegernseerhof was built and named after its owner. Today, Tegernseerhof is owned by the Mittelbach family. The winery has been in their possession for five generations. The name has been preserved, like the ancient knowledge of viniculture, passed on from one generation to the next. The Tegernseerhof vineyards are located on the best slopes of the Wachau region. They are characterized by steep terraces of primary rock, with optimal exposure to sun and wind. The result is an incredible wealth of different aromas, reflected in the different Smaragd wines of Tegernseerhof. Whether Grüner Veltliner or Riesling, each wine has a personality all of its own.